Yesterday I cut my seatpan down, so I decided to spend a little time today trimming down the seat foam. I initially thought I could trim the foam back with a hacksaw blade, sharp knife, and a sandpaper, but read online that most automotive/motorcycle seat upholsters use an electric carving knife and a grinding wheel. Brilliant!
I love getting new tools: carving knife, battery tender, staple gun, 10gauge jumper cables
test fit the chopped seatpan(I followed the natural line of the frame)
I have no idea how the pros do it, but drawing a symmetrical grid made the most sense to me
side profile
finished product
There are some spots on the sides that look messed up, but I trimmed the sides down so thin that it won't make much of a difference after I throw fabric on. Now I need to source some UV stabilized vinyl that also has a high tolerance to cold cracking. Depending on where you live, you should take into considerations temperatures and cured/treated fabrics if you want the upholstery on your seat to last.
I wanted to take a few seconds here to suggest a great product that I've come across recently. I recently relocated my rectifier, which meant the wiring harness was going to be exposed to the elements. Normally I use shrink wrap and electrical tape to weatherproof electrical connections, but I recently found this really great tape called Rescue Tape.
The great thing about Rescue Tape is that it actually fuses to itself on contact. It's wrapped like a piece of fruit by the foot, and non-stick, so it's easy to apply/wrap. I highly recommend this product if you want to waterproof/weatherproof any exposed electrical connections.






No comments:
Post a Comment